Monday, March 5, 2012

Spiritual



I never talk about my faith as being in or of Jesus. I prefer to talk about doubt, uncertainty and mystery. So why am I so drawn to this piece by Johnny Cash? “Spiritual,” originally written by Josh Haden for Spain, echoes a simple prayer spoken from a simple faith. When I finished college, I was rudderless and miserable. I had a degree in psychology, and I had no clue where I was going. This song echoed in my head almost every morning as I hid from the day under my covers.

I loved it as a song, though I didn’t think the words applied to me. But it spoke the prayer I couldn’t speak myself. It was a hope that something divine would lift my pain and doubt off of me and whisk it away. This song made me realize that mature faith not only means dwelling in uncertainty, but also acknowledging that small child in me who wants to be held in the arms of a loving god.

Learn more about this daily Lenten devotional, created by Episcopal Young Adults of Western Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment